THIRTY-SECOND LEGISLATURE, 2023
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO CULTURE AND ARTS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. The purpose of this Act is to establish the Hawaii leadership awards program to honor persons from Hawaii who have made considerable and outstanding contributions to the State in their respective field and who serve as an inspiration to others.
SECTION 2. Chapter 9, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by adding a new part to be appropriately designated and to read as follows:
"PART . LEADERSHIP AWARDS
§9- Hawaii leadership awards program. (a) There is established within the foundation for administrative purposes the Hawaii leadership awards program to honor persons who:
(1) Have made considerable and outstanding contributions to Hawaii; and
(2) Serve as an inspiration to others.
(b) Awards shall be presented annually to one person in each of the following categories:
(2) Business and labor;
(4) Food and drink;
(7) Public service;
(10) Community engagement;
(11) Profile in courage; and
(12) Friend of Hawaii.
(c) Award recipients shall have resided in the State for at least seven years, except recipients of the friends of Hawaii award.
(d) The governor, lieutenant governor, and members of the Hawaii leadership awards selection committee shall present the awards annually. No person shall receive more than one award per year.
(e) Each awardee shall:
(1) Receive a medal and a certificate of honor;
(2) Have the awardee's story and a statement of recognition displayed in a conspicuous place for a period of one year; and
(3) Have the awardee's name added to a permanent archive of awards.
(f) Awardees shall be selected by the Hawaii leadership awards selection committee. The selection committee shall comprise the following members, or their designees:
(1) The lieutenant governor or the lieutenant governor's designee;
(2) The chairperson of the senate standing committee having jurisdiction over culture and arts, or the chairperson's designee; and
(3) The chairperson of the house of representatives standing committee having jurisdiction over culture and arts, or the chairperson's designee.
(f) The public may submit award nominations to the Hawaii leadership awards selection committee."
SECTION 3. There is appropriated out of the general revenues of the State of Hawaii the sum of $ or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2023-2024 and the same sum or so much thereof as may be necessary for fiscal year 2024-2025 to establish and administer the Hawaii leadership awards program.
The sums appropriated shall be expended by the state foundation on culture and the arts for the purposes of this Act.
SECTION 4. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
State Foundation on Culture and the Arts; Awards; Hawaii Leadership Awards Program; Appropriation
Establishes the Hawaii Leadership Awards Program to honor persons from Hawaii who have made considerable and outstanding contributions to the State and who serve as an inspiration to others. Appropriates funds. Effective 7/1/2050. (SD2)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.