STAND. COM. REP. NO. 968
RE: S.B. No. 285
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 285, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WASTEWATER SYSTEMS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to facilitate upgrades of wastewater systems within the State.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Establishes and appropriates moneys to implement a three-year new wastewater system demonstration pilot program within the University of Hawaii; and
(2) Appropriates moneys for two full-time equivalent (2.0 FTE) positions within the Department of Health's wastewater branch.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Health, University of Hawaii, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Hawaii Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission, Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaii Reef and Ocean Coalition, Hawaii REALTORS, Ulupono Initiative, WAI: Wastewater Alternatives and Innovations, and three individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from one individual.
Your Committee finds that thousands of cesspools in the State need to be converted to septic or aerobic treatment unit systems, or connected to a central sewerage system. Your Committee recognizes that affordability and technology options are crucial in reaching this goal. Your Committee believes that an innovative pilot program, as proposed by this measure, will lead to the wide implementation of new and cost-effective solutions.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Correcting a reference to the Hawaii State Constitution;
(2) Inserting language to prevent the lapsing of funds from the appropriation for the pilot program before June 30, 2026;
(3) Inserting language to ensure that the measure's appropriation from the water pollution control revolving fund will be made, notwithstanding section 342D-83, Hawaii Revised Statutes, or any other law to the contrary;
(4) Changing the appropriations to unspecified amounts;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(6) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 285, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 285, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair