STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1022
RE: S.B. No. 1511
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1511, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE RESEARCH CORPORATION OF THE UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to amend the purposes and powers of the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Clarifies the purposes of the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii;
(2) Amends certain powers of the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii to better reflect those purposes;
(3) Repeals the requirement that the University of Hawaii contract with the Research Corporation when the University of Hawaii determines that various other agencies cannot more effectively or efficiently accomplish certain research and training activities;
(4) Requires the University of Hawaii to notify the exclusive representative of the appropriate bargaining unit to review conformance of positions with exceptions to collective bargaining for each project or program involving the Research Corporation and a state employee;
(5) Limits the scope of the special accounts that the Research Corporation may establish to moneys received for research and training purposes;
(6) Requires the Research Corporation to follow certain University of Hawaii administrative procedures for revolving fund service orders; and
(7) Limits internal service orders and revolving accounts of the Research Corporation that use University intramural funds to certain projects and requires biannual reports to the Legislature.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the University of Hawaii and Hawaii Government Employees Association.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii has gradually expanded its undertakings over the years beyond its original mandate. Your Committee further finds that this measure provides clarity to the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii's purpose.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the purposes of the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii include:
(A) Encouraging and aiding in the education or training of persons in the conduct of training, investigations, research, and study; provided that the persons being educated or trained are engaged in the conduct of research; and
(B) Assisting in the dissemination of knowledge from research studies by establishing staff positions, fellowships, scholarships, publications, and lectures;
(2) Clarifying the allowable uses of internal service orders and revolving accounts that involve the use of University of Hawaii intramural funds;
(3) Clarifying the dates on which certain biannual reports must be submitted to the Legislature;
(4) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(5) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1511, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1511, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair