STAND. COM. REP. NO. 767
RE: S.B. No. 1442
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1442, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO OHANA ZONES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to reduce homelessness in the State by providing funding and other support for the Ohana Zones Pilot Program.
More specifically, the measure:
(1) Appropriates funds for the Ohana Zones Pilot Program, including expenses relating to operations, upkeep of facilities, provision of services, and administrative costs;
(2) Authorizes the issuance of general obligation bonds for the construction of facilities for the pilot program;
(3) Establishes one position within the Office of the Governor to deploy the capital improvement funds appropriated by this measure; and
(4) Provides that certain enumerated exemptions shall apply to Ohana Zone construction.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of the Governor, AARP Hawaii, Partners in Care, Opportunity Youth Action Hawaii, and four individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Human Services.
Your Committee finds that this measure's further support of the Ohana Zones Pilot Program, which was established by the Legislature in 2018, will address the urgent and ongoing need to reduce homelessness in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation and general obligation bond issuance amounts from $15,000,000 to unspecified amounts;
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1442, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1442, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair