STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1474
RE: S.B. No. 1264
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 1264, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMMERCIAL FISHING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to authorize the Department of Land and Natural Resources to establish limited-entry commercial fisheries for fisheries not subject to federal fisheries regulations, when appropriate or necessary to ensure sustainable fisheries.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and one individual. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawai‘i Fishermen's Alliance for Conservation and Tradition, Inc.
Your Committee finds that this measure seeks to strike a balance between ensuring that certain commercial fisheries throughout Hawaii remain healthy and sustainable and recognizing the important economic role of commercial fisheries in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the establishment of limited-entry commercial fisheries to two species -- uhu and kala -- on a temporary basis;
(2) Requiring the Department of Land and Natural Resources to report annually to the Legislature and consult regularly with stakeholders regarding the temporary limited-entry commercial fisheries for uhu and kala;
(3) Repealing it on June 30, 2028;
(4) Changing its effective date to June 30, 3000, to encourage further discussion; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1264, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1264, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
LINDA ICHIYAMA, Chair