STAND. COM. REP. NO. 149
RE: S.B. No. 1076
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 1076 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Require the Office of Elections to prepare a digital voter information guide;
(2) Require the Office of Elections to post the guide on its website in compliance with certain accessibility standards;
(3) Require the Office of Elections to mail each ballot with a notice that states a voter information guide may be found on its website; and
(4) Appropriate funds.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Community Alliance on Prisons, League of Women Voters of Hawaii, and three individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Office of Elections.
Your Committee finds that all states make an effort to inform the electorate about upcoming elections, where and when the elections will be held, and how to cast a vote. Your Committee further finds that some states provide valuable information to registered voters such as candidate information or background information on constitutional amendments or ballot measures. This measure will provide for a digital voter information guide to registered voters of the State, which will create a more informed voting public and increase voter participation in elections.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that the Office of Elections shall provide printed copies of the digital voter information guide for distribution at all public libraries; and
(2) Specifying that the digital voter information guide shall contain information about mailing deadlines, drop box locations, same day voter registration, accessible voting locations, and opening hours of voter service centers.
Your Committee notes that the Senate Draft 1 of this measure contains an unspecified appropriation amount. Should your Committee on Ways and Means choose to deliberate on this measure, your Committee respectfully requests that it considers inserting an appropriation amount of $143,280. According to the Office of Elections, $98,280 would be required to fund the program for the primary and $45,000 would be required to fund the program for the general election.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1076, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1076, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair