STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1767
RE: H.R. No. 139
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred H.R. No. 139 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE WASTEWATER BRANCH OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT DIVISION OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO CONDUCT A FEASIBILITY STUDY ON THE USE OF ORGANIC BIODEGRADABLE WATER CLARIFIERS FOR CESSPOOL WATER REMEDIATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to request the Wastewater Branch of the Environmental Management Division of the Department of Health to conduct a feasibility study on the use of organic biodegradable water clarifiers for cesspool water remediation.
Your Committee finds that a feasibility study on new technologies that can remediate cesspool water is warranted. Your Committee further finds, however, that the University of Hawaii Water Resources Research Center, instead of the Wastewater Branch of the Environmental Management Division of the Department of Health, is a more appropriate agency to perform the feasibility study. In addition, your Committee finds that the scope of the study should not be limited solely to organic biodegradable water clarifiers.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requesting the University of Hawaii Water Resources Research Center, rather than the Wastewater Branch of the Environmental Management Division of the Department of Health, to conduct the feasibility study;
(2) Broadening the scope of the feasibility study to encompass new technologies related to cesspool water remediation, which may include organic biodegradable water clarifiers;
(3) Amending its title in accordance with its amended purpose;
(4) Modifying the recipient of a certified copy of the measure in accordance with its amended purpose; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 139, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 139, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
LINDA ICHIYAMA, Chair