STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1217
RE: H.B. No. 984
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 984, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO FIREARMS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Prohibiting firearms in certain locations and premises and providing for enhanced sentencing;
(2) Requiring possession and disclosure of a license to carry;
(3) Prohibiting an unsecured and unattended firearm in a vehicle;
(4) Prohibiting consuming or being under the influence of alcohol, an intoxicating liquor, or a controlled substance when carrying a firearm;
(5) Prohibiting carrying or possessing firearms on certain private property open to the public without express authorization;
(6) Requiring annual reports from the Department of the Attorney General on carry licenses;
(7) Amending the requirements for obtaining, and revocation of, firearms permits and licenses;
(8) Amending the disqualification of persons from owning, possessing, or controlling a firearm; and
(9) Expanding the qualified immunity for health care providers who provide information on firearms applicants to include physician assistants and advanced practice registered nurses.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of the Attorney General; Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Office of Planning and Sustainable Development; Healthcare Association of Hawaii; Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, Hawaii Chapter; Hawai‘i Children's Action Network Speaks!; Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence; Everytown for Gun Safety; Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America; Students Demand Action for Gun Sense in America; Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence; Hawaii Bankers Association; Hawaii Credit Union League; Building Owners and Managers Association of Hawai‘i and numerous individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from Hawaii Tactical, Hawaii Firearms Coalition, Pu‘uloa Rifle and Pistol Club, Young Guns, National Rifle Association in Hawaii, and numerous individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the University of Hawai‘i System, Hawaii State Public Library System, Managing Director of the City and County of Honolulu, one member of the Hawaii County Council, Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu, Honolulu Police Department, Church of the Crossroads, Hawai‘i Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Hawai‘i State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, and numerous individuals.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2023; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 984, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 984, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
KYLE T. YAMASHITA, Chair