STAND. COM. REP. NO. 893
RE: H.B. No. 554
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 554, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO CAMPUS SAFETY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require that University of Hawaii students and employees receive training on sexual misconduct awareness and trauma informed responses, sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking;
(2) Require that the University ensure that any individual who participates in implementing the University's disciplinary process has training or experience in handling sexual misconduct complaints and the disciplinary process;
(3) Require that the University provide mandatory annual trauma informed, gender inclusive, LGBTQ+ inclusive sexual misconduct primary prevention and awareness programming for students and employees of the University;
(4) Prohibit the University from taking disciplinary action against individuals reporting sexual misconduct unless certain exceptions apply; and
(5) Establish and appropriate funds for four full-time equivalent positions to enable the University to fulfill the measure's requirements.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the State Council on Developmental Disabilities, Hawai‘i Youth Services Network, American Association of University Women of Hawaii, Every Voice Coalition Hawai‘i, Hawai‘i State Democratic Women's Caucus, Democratic Party of Hawai‘i Education Caucus, Imua Alliance, Stonewall Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, and nineteen individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the University of Hawai‘i System.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 554, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
KYLE T. YAMASHITA, Chair