STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1865
RE: H.B. No. 475
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 475, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE FOUNDATION ON CULTURE AND THE ARTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to establish and appropriate moneys for the Art in Private Places and Performing Arts Committee, within the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, to establish and administer the Art in Private Places and Performing Arts Pilot Programs.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the State Foundation on Culture and the Arts, Hawaii Forest Industry Association, Alexander Academy Performing Company, and six individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance and one individual.
Your Committee finds that the arts are an important part of the State's creative economy. The committee and pilot programs established and funded by this measure will help support performing arts and make visual arts more publicly accessible.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that two members representing the performing arts community should be selected by the chairperson and invited to serve on the committee;
(2) Ensuring that the full titles of the "art in private places pilot program," and "performing arts pilot program," are used consistently throughout the measure;
(3) Specifying that revenues from the art in private places pilot program should be deposited into the performing arts special account established by the measure;
(4) Including a definition of "private places," in the measure's new statutory text, rather than in appropriation language;
(5) Clarifying that the position established and funded by the measure should oversee the pilot programs established by the measure; and
(6) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 475, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 475, H.D. 1, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair