STAND. COM. REP. NO. 859
RE: H.B. No. 248
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 248, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Require the Farm to School Program and Farm to School Meals Program, established by Act 175, Session Laws of Hawaii 2021, to be fully implemented by the 2024-2025 school year;
(2) Empower Complex Area Superintendents to implement the Farm to School Program and Farm to School Meals Program;
(3) Require certain school cafeteria supervisors to report directly to Complex Area Superintendents;
(4) Create, define the scope of, and appropriate funds for additional cafeteria supervisor positions; and
(5) Require the Office of Talent Management of the Department of Education to conduct a compensation review of school cafeteria supervisor positions.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawai‘i Primary Care Association, Hawai‘i Farmers Union United, Ulupono Initiative, Hawai‘i Youth Food Council, Hawai‘i Public Health Institute, Hawaii Appleseed Center for Law & Economic Justice, Hawai‘i Farm Bureau, Hawai‘i SEED, Climate Future Forum, Hawai‘i Alliance for Progressive Action, Kohana Family Farms, and twelve individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Education; Chamber of Sustainable Commerce; Ka Ohana O Na Pua; Hawaii Government Employees Association, AFSCME Local 152, AFL-CIO; and North Shore Economic Vitality Partnership.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 248, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
KYLE T. YAMASHITA, Chair