STAND. COM. REP. NO. 988
RE: H.B. No. 1442
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred H.B. No. 1442, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO REHABILITATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Expand the Criminal Justice Diversion Program;
(2) Amend the allowable period of court-ordered assisted community treatment and considerations for extensions;
(3) Allow courts to require certain probation violators to undergo mental health evaluation and treatment as a condition of continued probation;
(4) Require the Department of Health to contract with behavioral health crisis centers; and
(5) Appropriate funds to restore funding for probation officer services for the Mental Health Court.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Judiciary, Office of the Public Defender, Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission, Honolulu Police Department, Hawaii Substance Abuse Coalition, and five individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of the Attorney General, Department of Health, and Department of the Prosecuting Attorney of the City and County of Honolulu.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1442, H.D. 2, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
KYLE T. YAMASHITA, Chair