STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1488
RE: H.B. No. 1132
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary, to which was referred H.B. No. 1132, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE HAWAII CORRECTIONAL SYSTEM OVERSIGHT COMMISSION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Require members of the Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission be subject to the advice and consent of the Senate;
(2) Extend the term of the Oversight Coordinator for the Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission;
(3) Require the Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission to publish a summary of an investigation upon its conclusion and any action taken by the Commission in response;
(4) Authorize the Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission to hold a meeting closed to the public to discuss with the Oversight Coordinator a complaint investigated when necessary to maintain confidentiality, under certain conditions; and
(5) Broaden the Oversight Coordinator's power to make inquiries, obtain information, and inspect the premises of agencies and correctional facilities.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Public Safety, Hawaii Paroling Authority, Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission, Community Alliance on Prisons, ACLU of Hawai‘i, and four individuals.
Your Committee finds that transforming a corrections system that has been focused on punishment and isolation to a more rehabilitative and therapeutic model will take time. Your Committee believes that a two-year term for the Oversight Coordinator of the Hawaii Correctional System Oversight Commission is insufficient to facilitate the transition of the corrections system to a rehabilitative and therapeutic model. This measure, among other things, will support the creation of a more just and equitable corrections system by extending the term of the Oversight Coordinator.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1132, H.D. 1, S.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair