STAND. COM. REP. NO. 653
RE: H.B. No. 1034
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-Second State Legislature
Regular Session of 2023
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 1034 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Clarifying the scope of the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan;
(2) Specifying the status and the allowable uses of Major Disaster Fund moneys, including increasing the amount of additional funds that may be made available for the purpose of matching federal disaster relief fund from $5,000,000 to $10,000,000;
(3) Shortening the duration of price control periods from ninety-six hours to seventy-two hours; and
(4) Defining the term "severe warning", clarifying that entities other than the National Weather Service issue warnings that may require the activation of the emergency management system.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the state Department of Defense, Hawai‘i Emergency Management Agency, Retail Merchants of Hawaii, and one individual.
Your Committee finds that this measure would better prepare the State and counties for various types of emergencies and better align the State with federal processes.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that the Governor's or mayors' emergency management powers under chapter 127A, Hawaii Revised Statutes, must be consistent with the Hawaii State Constitution;
(2) Clarifying the powers of the Governor and mayors to extend or terminate a state of emergency;
(3) Changing its effective date to June 30, 3000, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1034, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1034, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
LINDA ICHIYAMA, Chair