STAND. COM. REP. NO. 3004
RE: S.B. No. 2142
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2022
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 2142, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMPUTER SCIENCE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote the study of computer science.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Education to allow students to fulfill certain graduation requirement courses with computer science courses;
(2) Requires the University of Hawaii to accept substituted computer science courses as part of their admission requirements;
(3) Establishes and appropriates funds for a computer science in teaching scholarship;
(4) Requires the University of Hawaii to develop pathways in computer science for students studying to obtain a degree in education; and
(5) Requires teacher licensing and certification requirements to include instruction in computer science.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii State Public Charter School Commission, HawaiiKidsCAN, Hawaii State Teachers Association, Code.org, Hawaii Society for Technology in Education, and six individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Joint National Committee for Languages and the National Council for Languages and International Studies and from ACTFL.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Budget and Finance, Board of Education, Department of Education, and one individual.
Your Committee finds that this measure takes a multilevel approach to developing computer science in the State by encouraging high school students to learn computer science, providing incentives for future teachers to study computer science, and requiring that certified and licensed teachers receive instruction in computer science.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2142, S.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair