STAND. COM. REP. NO. 583
RE: S.B. No. 60
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 60 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SPECIAL NUMBER PLATES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to authorize the issuance to any registered owner of an electric vehicle special number plates to commemorate the Polynesian Voyaging Society.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Authorizes the Director of Finance of each county to issue, for use on electric vehicles, special number plates to commemorate the Polynesian Voyaging Society;
(2) Requires the Director of Finance of the City and County of Honolulu to design the special number plates, based on certain guidelines;
(3) Requires the Director of Finance of each county to charge a special number plate fee and fundraising fee, and authorizes the Director to charge an additional fundraising fee; and
(4) Provides that the revenue generated by the fundraising fees be deposited in the name of the Polynesian Voyaging Society in each county's budget accounts.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Hawaii State Energy Office, Polynesian Voyaging Society, and numerous individuals.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from one individual.
Your Committee finds that the issuance of special number plates commemorating the Polynesian Voyaging Society is an effective way to support both the adoption of electric vehicles throughout the State and the Polynesian Voyaging Society's efforts to perpetuate the art and science of traditional Polynesian voyaging and the spirit of exploration.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an effective date of July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments
for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 60, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 60, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair