STAND. COM. REP. NO. 861
RE: S.B. No. 167
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 167 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE STATE PLAN,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to add the integration of green infrastructure and the promotion of green spaces to the State Planning Act.
Specifically, this measure establishes:
(1) Objectives and policies regarding green infrastructure for facility systems;
(2) Policies for scenic, natural beauty, and historic resources to promote green spaces; and
(3) Priority guidelines to promote the use of green infrastructure in state facility systems, infrastructure, and transit projects.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Health, Department of Land and Natural Resources, Office of Hawaiian Affairs, Office of Planning, 350Hawaii, Climate Protectors Hawaii, Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaii Interfaith Power and Light, Our Revolution Hawaii, and Trees for Honolulu's Future.
Your Committee finds that increasing green infrastructure and green spaces throughout the State will help to protect the environment, improve the quality of life for Hawaii residents, and enhance the enjoyment of visitors to Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Prioritizing the use of Hawaiian plants in state facility systems, infrastructure, and transit projects and for scenic, natural beauty, and historic resources;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 167, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 167, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair