COM. REP. NO. 1308
RE: H.R. No. 114
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Economic Development, to which was referred H.R. No. 114 entitled:
"HOUSE RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF BUSINESS, ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, AND TOURISM TO COMMISSION THE DEVELOPMENT OF EVIDENCE-BASED RESEARCH AND A POLICY FRAMEWORK TO GUIDE DECISION-MAKING ON GAMBLING-RELATED ISSUES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to request the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism to commission the development of evidence-based research and a policy framework to guide decision-making on gambling-related issues.
received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Hawaiian
Home Lands and one individual. Your
Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Business, Economic
Development, and Tourism.
Your Committee finds that as the State
looks to diversify its economy and address budget shortfalls, legalized
gambling is a recurrent idea to address these issues. To achieve a more productive discourse on
whether Hawaii should pursue legalized gambling, research on relevant public
health and safety concerns is necessary to guide decision-making on gaming‑related issues.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Requesting the Legislative Reference Bureau, rather than the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism, to conduct a study on relevant public health and safety concerns to guide decision-making on gaming-related issues;
(2) Deleting provisions that would have requested and outlined the development of a policy framework to guide decision-making on gambling-related issues;
(3) Specifying the scope of the research to be conducted by the Legislative Reference Bureau by deleting certain areas of interest and including research on the impact of public health and safety in the surrounding communities;
(4) Deleting provisions that requested that the research be funded by a dedicated and protected revenue stream;
(5) Amending its title to read "REQUESTING THE LEGISLATIVE REFERENCE BUREAU TO CONDUCT A STUDY ON RELEVANT PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY CONCERNS TO GUIDE DECISION-MAKING ON GAMING-RELATED ISSUES";
(6) Transmitting a certified copy of the resolution to the Director of the Legislative Reference Bureau, rather than the Director of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Economic Development that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of H.R. No. 114, as amended herein, and recommends that it be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce in the form attached hereto as H.R. No. 114, H.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Economic Development,
SEAN QUINLAN, Chair