STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1667
RE: H.B. No. 1333
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred H.B. No. 1333, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ENERGY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require the Hawaii State Energy Office, in consultation with the Department of Health, to conduct a study on clean energy product disposal and recycling.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Hawaii State Energy Office, in consultation with the Department of Health, to conduct a comprehensive study to determine the best practices for disposal and recycling of discarded clean energy products;
(2) Specifies the required topics to be addressed in the comprehensive study;
(3) Requires the Hawaii State Energy Office to submit interim and final reports to the Legislature; and
(4) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism for the Hawaii State Energy Office to conduct the comprehensive study.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Environmental Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Hawaii State Energy Office.
Your Committee finds that older clean energy products will soon reach the end of their respective useful commercial lifespans and require disposal. Accordingly, your Committee believes that the comprehensive study required by this measure is both appropriate and timely.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Correctly referencing the name of an entity as "the International Renewable Energy Agency"; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1333, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1333, H.D. 1, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair