STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1179
RE: S.B. No. 471
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 471, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HOMELESSNESS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to reduce homelessness in Hawaii.
Specifically, this measure:
(1) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Human Services to fund outreach, housing, family assessment, and other homeless services and initiatives;
(2) Appropriates moneys to the Department of Health for the Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion program; and
(3) Requires the Department of Health to establish a long-term rental assistance pilot program and appropriates moneys to fund the program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Human Services; Governor's Coordinator on Homelessness; County of Hawaii Mayor's Office; County of Hawaii Office of the Prosecuting Attorney; Hawaii County Council; Oahu County Committee on Legislative Priorities of the Democratic Party of Hawaii; Hawaii Youth Services Network; Hawaii Island HIV/AIDS Foundation; Hawaii Health and Harm Reduction Center; Habitat for Humanity Hawaii Island, Inc.; Catholic Charities Hawaii; ALEA Bridge; Partners in Care; HOPE Services Hawaii; Hawaii Kai Homeless Task Force; Big Island Substance Abuse Council; and seven individuals.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Department of Health.
Your Committee finds that this measure will provide necessary funding to continue various programs that have shown promising results in addressing the complex problem of homelessness in Hawaii. Your Committee further finds that establishing a long-term rental assistance pilot program will assist elders who are homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless, so that they may find and retain permanent housing.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriations to the Department of Human Services and the Department of Health, respectively, to unspecified amounts;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 471, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 471, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair