STAND. COM. REP. NO. 572
RE: H.B. No. 754
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirtieth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2019
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 754 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ELECTRIC FOOT SCOOTERS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Establishing a framework for the Department of Transportation and the counties to regulate the use of electric foot scooters;
(2) Adding the definition of "electric foot scooter" to the county vehicular tax and motor carrier laws;
(3) Amending the definitions of moped, motor vehicle, rental motor vehicle, and vehicle to exclude electric foot scooters;
(4) Establishing a prohibition on the use of electric foot scooters to individuals under eighteen years of age;
(5) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to promote further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 754, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 754, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair