STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1698-16
RE: S.B. No. 3071
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 3071, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE ACQUISITION OF MAKAI LANDS OF KAPUA IN SOUTH KONA ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to require the Department of Land and Natural Resources (Department) to engage in negotiations to acquire the makai lands of Kapua in South Kona.
The Department provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Removing its preamble;
(2) Allowing rather than requiring the Department to engage in negotiations to acquire the makai lands of Kapua, island of Hawaii;
(3) Allowing rather than requiring the Department to report to the Legislature on the status of the negotiations;
(4) Deleting the specified amount of the appropriation for conducting due diligence and negotiations on the makai lands;
(5) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 3071, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 3071, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair