STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1672-16
RE: S.B. No. 2671
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2671, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VETERINARY TECHNICIANS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to improve the level of care for animals in the State by establishing requirements for the regulation of veterinary technicians and the practice of veterinary technology, including:
(1) Registration and education requirements;
(2) Limitations on the use of titles associated with the practice of veterinary technology; and
(3) Fees and other funding necessary to implement the registration of veterinary technicians.
The University of Hawaii System, Associated Students of the University of Hawaii at Windward Community College, Hawaii Veterinary Technician Association, Hawaii Veterinary Medical Association, and several individuals testified in support of this measure. The Office of the Auditor provided comments on this measure.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation to implement the registration of veterinary technicians to an unspecified amount;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2030, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2671, S.D. 1, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2671, S.D. 1, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair