STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1700-16
RE: S.B. No. 2476
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 2476, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO HEALTH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Department of Health to provide early intervention services for infants and toddlers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind;
(2) Requiring the Department of Health, Department of Education, and Executive Office on Early Learning to establish a working group on issues related to supporting age-appropriate development for children up to five years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind; and
(3) Appropriating funds for two permanent full-time equivalent (2.0 FTE) positions in the Department of Health to provide early language services for children up to three years of age who are deaf, hard of hearing, or deaf-blind.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Authorizing rather than requiring early intervention services for infants and toddlers;
(2) Deleting the appropriation; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 2476, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 2476, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair