STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1687-16
RE: S.B. No. 194
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 194, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE CULTURAL EXCHANGES BETWEEN HAWAII AND AFRICAN AMERICANS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Further the understanding of African American history and culture;
(2) Educate residents and visitors to the State of the significance and impact of the experience of people of African descent in Hawaii; and
(3) Submit annual reports to the Legislature with recommendations to honor and recognize contributions of persons of African descent in Hawaii.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2030, to facilitate further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 194, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 194, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair