STAND. COM. REP. NO. 531-16
RE: H.B. No. 2746
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred H.B. No. 2746 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VEHICULAR LOLLYGAGGING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to increase traffic safety by requiring drivers in the furthermost left lane of a roadway having two or more lanes allowing movement in the same direction to move over if they:
(1) Will imminently be overtaken from the rear by more than one vehicle traveling at a higher rate of speed;
(2) Are proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic; and
(3) Are impeding traffic with a line of three or more vehicles following immediately behind their vehicle.
This measure also requires the Director of Transportation, in collaboration with county police departments, to develop and implement a statewide public awareness campaign on the statutory requirements that drivers use the right-hand lane of a roadway under certain conditions.
Several concerned individuals testified in support of this measure. The Department of Transportation testified in support of the intent of this measure. One concerned individual testified in opposition to this measure. One concerned individual provided comments.
Vehicular lollygagging, or the problem of slow drivers in the far-left lane of roadways, creates dangerous situations, starts traffic jams, incites road rage, and persists despite state law requiring drivers traveling slower than the normal speed of traffic to use the right-hand lane. Your Committee finds that drivers in the left lane who do not yield to faster-moving traffic may create dangerous situations and exacerbate traffic congestion by forcing faster-moving vehicles to pass them from the right; this measure seeks to address this problem.
However, your Committee notes that applying the requirements contained in this measure may have unintended consequences for roadways containing more than two lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Stipulating that the requirement for drivers in the furthermost left lane of a roadway to move over under certain conditions only applies to roadways containing two lanes allowing movement in the same direction;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2746, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2746, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
HENRY J.C. AQUINO, Chair