STAND. COM. REP. NO. 382-16
RE: H.B. No. 2502
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred H.B. No. 2502 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO WILDLIFE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to improve coordination between state natural resources laws and other government authorities in protecting endangered species by prohibiting the trafficking of certain wild life.
The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Global March for Elephants and Rhinos, Sierra Club of Hawaii, NSEFU Wildlife Conservation Foundation, International Fund for Animal Welfare, Wildlife Conservation Society, Animal Rights Hawaii, Vulcan Inc., Malama O Puna, Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society International, Conservation Council of Hawaii, Hawaiian Humane Society, Animal Welfare Institute, and many individuals provided testimony in support of the measure. The Art and Antique Dealers League of America, Elephant Protection Association, and many individuals provided testimony in opposition. Tigers Eye Fine Imports and many individuals provided comments.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the requirement that exempted antiques need to evidence provenance;
(2) Raising the allowable volume of covered animal species part or product for exemption to 20 percent for antiques and musical instruments;
(3) Adding an exemption for guns and knives containing less than 20 percent ivory or rhinoceros horn;
(4) Adding an exemption for larger manufactured items where a fixed ivory component is not the primary source of value;
(5) Changing the effective date to ensure no enforcement actions will take place until December 31, 2017; and
(6) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 2502, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 2502, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
RYAN I. YAMANE, Chair