STAND. COM. REP. NO. 316-16
RE: H.B. No. 1814
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2016
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred H.B. No. 1814 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Requiring the Department of Education to report to the Legislature no later than 20 days prior to the convening of the Regular Session of 2018 regarding:
(A) The Department's progress toward implementing sections 302A-1141 (limited punishment of pupils), 302A-1141.3 (prohibition on the use of seclusion, chemical restraint, or mechanical restraint), and 302A-1141.4 (limited use of physical restraint), Hawaii Revised Statutes; and
(B) The expenditure of appropriated funds, including details of the training provided and the data accountability to assist with the implementation of sections 302A-1141, 302A-1141.3, and 302A-1141.4, Hawaii Revised Statutes; and
(2) Appropriating $460,000 for fiscal year 2016-2017 to fund a full-time equivalent position (1.0 FTE) to provide training and data accountability to assist with the effective implementation of sections 302A-1141, 302A-1141.3, and 302A-1141.4, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the appropriation amount to an unspecified sum to facilitate further discussion;
(2) Changing its effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1814, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1814, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
ROY M. TAKUMI, Chair