HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
TWENTY-EIGHTH LEGISLATURE, 2015
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO STATE FACILITIES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 26-6, Hawaii Revised Statutes, charges the department of accounting and general services with the responsibility to "undertake the program of centralized engineering and office leasing services, including operation and maintenance of public buildings, for departments of the State." In managing a number of capital improvement and renovation projects, the department has developed a standard project timeline that ensures:
(1) That projects continue to move forward in a predictable manner; and
(2) The development of professionalism and accountability for the projects for which the department is responsible.
Currently, a number of executive departments have undertaken the responsibility for the engineering of numerous general fund construction and renovation projects, thereby decentralizing engineering activities.
The purpose of this Act is to require the auditor to review various departmental engineering sections that manage general fund capital improvement projects to determine if it is in the public interest to continue to operate duplicative engineering operations among various departments throughout state government projects.
SECTION 2. (a) The auditor shall conduct a study that reviews the process, efficiencies, and accountability of various departmental engineering sections that manage general fund capital improvement projects and are operating in the public interest.
The study shall:
(1) Determine if each office adheres to a specific timeline for the purpose of ensuring that the project continues to move forward in a timely manner;
(2) Determine whether consultants and contractors that are used by departmental engineering sections are properly managed in the public interest; and
(3) Determine the level of end-user satisfaction with capital improvement projects performed by various departments.
(b) The auditor shall submit the study, including its findings and recommendations, to the legislature no later than November 30, 2015.
SECTION 3. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2050.
Auditor; Department of Accounting and General Services
Requires the Auditor to conduct a study of various departmental engineering sections that manage general fund capital improvement projects. Takes effect on 7/1/2050. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.