STAND. COM. REP. NO. 194
RE: H.B. No. 1202
Honorable Joseph M. Souki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Twenty-Eighth State Legislature
Regular Session of 2015
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Housing, to which was referred H.B. No. 1202 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AGRICULTURAL LANDS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose of this measure is to allow the fee or leasehold owner of agricultural district land to charge rent or fee for dwelling units and housing facilities on the property for various non-agricultural purposes (including housing for the elderly, homeless, vacation rentals, agricultural tourism, or farm-stay or workforce housing); provided that the dwelling units and housing facilities are located:
(1) In a county with a resident population of greater than 170,000, but fewer than 200,000; and
(2) Solely on agricultural district lands with soil classified by the Land Study Bureau's detailed land classification as overall (master) productivity rating class D and E.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Limiting the allowed housing purposes to housing for agricultural tourism activities or workforce housing;
(2) Allowing agricultural tourism activities or workforce housing on agricultural district land only if the county has adopted ordinances regulating agricultural tourism;
(3) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Housing that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of H.B. No. 1202, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as H.B. No. 1202, H.D. 1, and be referred to the Committee on Agriculture.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Housing,
MARK J. HASHEM, Chair