THIRTY-FIRST LEGISLATURE, 2021
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO THE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 302A-1106.5, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
"§302A-1106.5 Board of education;
meetings.] forums. [ The board shall hold not less than one
community meeting annually in each county in] In addition to their
regular meetings, the board shall hold no less than six community forums
annually to discuss and receive input from the community on public
education and public library issues[ .]; provided that the board shall
hold at least one community forum in each county. The board chairperson shall designate less
than a quorum of board members to attend [ the] each community
[ meetings.] forum. These
community [ meetings] forums shall not be held for the purpose of
formulating educational policy. The
community [ meetings] forums shall be [ exempt from sections 92-2.5,
92-7, 92-9, and 92-41; provided that the board shall give written public notice
of each community meeting. The meeting
notice shall indicate the date, time, and place of the meeting, and shall be
filed in the office of the lieutenant governor and in the board's office for
public inspection six calendar days before the meeting. The notice shall also be posted at the site
of the meeting.] a permitted interaction under section 92-2.5; provided
(1) The board shall give a written public notice that indicates the date, time, and place of each community forum; provided that the notice shall be subject to the same posting and filing requirements of board meeting notices, pursuant to section 92-7(b);
(2) Community forums shall be open to the public and all persons shall be permitted to attend; provided that the removal of any person or persons who wilfully disrupt a community forum to prevent and compromise the conduct of the community forum shall not be prohibited;
(3) The board shall afford all interested persons an opportunity to submit data, views, or arguments, in writing or in person, on any public education or public library issues at each community forum;
(4) No commitment relating to a vote on a matter is made or sought at any community forum; and
(5) At the next duly noticed meeting of the board, the board members shall report their attendance and the matters presented and discussed at the community forum."
SECTION 2. At any public meeting properly noticed pursuant to chapter 92, Hawaii Revised Statutes, the board of education shall include an open forum at the end of its meeting agenda to afford all interested persons an opportunity to present oral testimony on any matter not on the agenda; provided that the testimony is related to matters over which the board of education has supervision, control, jurisdiction, or advisory power.
SECTION 3. The board of education shall report to the legislature no later than twenty days prior to the convening of the regular session of 2022 on its efforts to amend its policies to include an open forum at the end of its meeting agenda to afford all interested persons an opportunity to present oral testimony on any matter not on the agenda.
SECTION 4. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 5. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2021.
Board of Education; Public Meetings; Oral Testimony; Community Forums
Requires the board of education to hold no less than six community forums annually, with at least one forum in each county. Requires the board to include an open forum for public comments on non-agenda items. Requires a report to the Legislature on implementing open forums. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.