THIRTY-FIRST LEGISLATURE, 2021
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO THE OFFICE OF THE AUDITOR.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 37-47, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
§37-47[ ]] Reporting of non-general fund information. No later than twenty days prior to the
convening of each regular session, each department shall submit to the
legislature and the auditor a report for each non-general fund account,
which shall include but not be limited to[ ,] the following:
(1) The name of the fund and a cite to the law authorizing the fund;
(2) The intended purpose of the fund;
current program activities [
which] that the fund supports;
(4) The balance of the fund at the beginning of the current fiscal year;
(5) The total amount of expenditures and other outlays from the fund account for the previous fiscal year;
(6) The total amount of revenue deposited to the account for the previous fiscal year;
(7) A detailed listing of all transfers from the fund;
(8) The amount of moneys encumbered in the account as of the beginning of the fiscal year;
amount of funds in the account [
which] that are required for the
purposes of bond conveyance or other related bond obligations;
amount of moneys in the account derived from bond proceeds; [
amount of moneys of the fund held in certificates of deposit, escrow accounts,
or other investments[
(12) The status of implementing recommendations made by the auditor in its most recent report on the department's non-general funds pursuant to section 23-12, and if no action has been taken, detailed reasons for not taking action."
SECTION 2. Section 23-12, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended by amending subsection (a) to read as follows:
"(a) The office of the auditor shall report to the legislature, at each regular session, a review of special, revolving, and trust funds established to provide services rendered by any state department or establishment to other state departments or establishments or to any political subdivision of the State. The review shall include:
(1) An evaluation of the original intent and purpose of each fund, both as expressed by the legislature and as understood by the expending agency;
(2) The degree to which each fund achieves the stated and claimed purposes;
(3) An evaluation of
performance standards established by the agency; [
(4) A summary
statement reflecting the total fund transactions in the preceding five
fiscal years, including the fund balance at the beginning of each fiscal year,
total deposits and withdrawals, amount of interest earned, total expenditures made
from the fund, and the ending fund balance for each fiscal year[
(5) If applicable, the identification of any recommendation made by the auditor's report within the previous five years that has not been implemented."
SECTION 3. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 4. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2021.
Non-general Fund Accounts; Annual Reports; Auditor; Special, Revolving, and Trust Funds
Requires departments to submit their annual reports concerning their non-general fund accounts to the Auditor in addition to the Legislature. Requires departments to include the status of implementing any recommendations made by the Auditor, and if no action has been taken, to detail the reasons why any recommendation has not been implemented in their annual reports submitted regarding their non-general fund accounts. Requires the Auditor to include, in its annual report to the Legislature on special, revolving, and trust funds, identification of any unimplemented fund recommendations made in an earlier auditor's report. (SD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.