HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
THIRTY-FIRST LEGISLATURE, 2021
STATE OF HAWAII
A BILL FOR AN ACT
RELATING TO ELECTIONEERING COMMUNICATIONS.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF HAWAII:
SECTION 1. Section 11-341, Hawaii Revised Statutes, is amended to read as follows:
Electioneering communications; statement of information. (a) Each person who makes an expenditure for
electioneering communications in an aggregate amount of more than [
$5,000 during any calendar year shall file with the commission a
statement of information within twenty-four hours of each disclosure date
provided in this section.
(b) Each statement of information shall contain the following:
(1) The name of the person making the expenditure, name of any person or entity sharing or exercising discretion or control over the person, and the custodian of the books and accounts of the person making the expenditure;
(2) The names and titles of the executives or board of directors who authorized the expenditure, if the expenditure was made by a noncandidate committee, business entity, or an organization;
(3) The state of incorporation or formation and principal address of the noncandidate committee, business entity, or organization or for an individual, the name, address, occupation, and employer of the individual making the expenditure;
(4) The amount of each expenditure during the period covered by the statement and the identification of the person to whom the expenditure was made;
(5) The elections to which the electioneering communications pertain and the names of any clearly identifiable candidates and whether those candidates are supported or opposed;
(6) If the expenditures were made by a candidate committee or noncandidate committee, the names and addresses of all persons who contributed to the candidate committee or noncandidate committee for the purpose of publishing or broadcasting the electioneering communications;
(7) If the expenditures were made by an
organization other than a candidate committee or noncandidate committee, the
names and addresses of all persons who contributed to the organization for the
purpose of publishing or broadcasting the electioneering communications;
(8) Whether or not any electioneering communication is made in coordination, cooperation, or concert with or at the request or suggestion of any candidate, candidate committee, or noncandidate committee, or agent of any candidate if any, and if so, the identification of the candidate, candidate committee, or noncandidate committee, or agent involved; and
(9) The three top contributors as required under section 11-393, if applicable.
(c) An electioneering communication statement of information filed pursuant to this section shall be in addition to the filing of any other report required under this part.
(d) For purposes of this section:
"Disclosure date" means,
for every calendar year, the first date [
by which a person has made
expenditures during that same year of more than $2,000 in the aggregate for
electioneering communications, and the date of any subsequent expenditures by
that person for electioneering communications.] during any
calendar year on which an electioneering communication is publicly distributed,
and the date on which any subsequent electioneering communication is publicly
distributed; provided that the person making the electioneering communication has
made expenditures for electioneering communications of more than $5,000 in the
means any advertisement that is broadcast from a cable, satellite, television,
or radio broadcast station; published in any periodical or newspaper or by electronic
means; or sent by mail [
at a bulk rate], and that:
(1) Refers to a clearly identifiable candidate;
(2) Is made, or scheduled to be made, either within thirty days prior to a primary or initial special election or within sixty days prior to a general or special election; and
(3) Is not susceptible to any reasonable interpretation other than as an appeal to vote for or against a specific candidate.
"Electioneering communication" shall not include communications:
(1) In a news story or editorial disseminated by any broadcast station or publisher of periodicals or newspapers, unless the facilities are owned or controlled by a candidate, candidate committee, or noncandidate committee;
(2) That constitute expenditures by the expending organization;
(3) In house bulletins; or
(4) That constitute a candidate debate or forum, or solely promote a debate or forum and are made by or on behalf of the person sponsoring the debate or forum.
For purposes of this section, a person shall be treated as having made
an expenditure if the person has executed a contract to make the expenditure.]"
SECTION 2. This Act does not affect rights and duties that matured, penalties that were incurred, and proceedings that were begun before its effective date.
SECTION 3. Statutory material to be repealed is bracketed and stricken. New statutory material is underscored.
SECTION 4. This Act shall take effect on July 1, 2112.
Campaign Spending Commission Package; Electioneering Communication; Disclosure Date; Advertisement
Increases the monetary threshold that requires disclosure of electioneering communications. Requires that disclosures of electioneering communications occur on the date the electioneering communications are publicly distributed. Classifies election advertisements sent by mail at any postal rate as electioneering communications. Effective 7/1/2112. (HD1)
The summary description of legislation appearing on this page is for informational purposes only and is not legislation or evidence of legislative intent.