STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1400
RE: S.R. No. 95
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.R. No. 95 entitled:
"SENATE RESOLUTION URGING THE CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU TO INSTALL THREE RAISED CROSSWALKS ON PAPIPI ROAD,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to urge the City and County of Honolulu to install three raised crosswalks on Papipi Road in west Oahu.
Prior to the hearing on this measure, your Committee posted and made available for public review a proposed S.D. 1, which deletes the contents of the measure and inserts language to:
(1) Urge the Department of Transportation and City and County of Honolulu to install six raised crosswalks at specific locations in west Oahu;
(2) Urge the Department of Transportation and City and County of Honolulu to remove bus stop number 1091, located in front of Ilima Intermediate School on Fort Weaver Road in west Oahu; and
(3) Request that the Department of Transportation and City and County of Honolulu notify those affected by the removal of bus stop number 1091 that other bus stops in close proximity remain in service.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from Ewa Beach Elementary School and two individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Transportation and Department of Transportation Services of the City and County of Honolulu.
Your Committee finds that speeding on certain west Oahu streets poses a serious threat to the safety of residents, especially to school children when the speeding occurs near schools. This measure urges the Department of Transportation and the City and County of Honolulu to install raised crosswalks or other general safety measures along certain portions of the streets where speeding frequently occurs. These safety measures will slow down vehicular traffic and help keep residents safe.
Your Committee notes that the Department of Transportation has raised concerns that installing raised crosswalks at specific points in west Oahu will lead to increased traffic and gridlock at certain intersections.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by adopting the proposed S.D. 1 and further amending the measure by:
(1) Removing the specification for raised crosswalks and replacing it with a request for general safety measures as appropriate; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.R. No. 95, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.R. No. 95, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
CHRIS LEE, Chair