STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1401
RE: S.C.R. No. 213
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Transportation, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 213 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION URGING THE STATE TO ADOPT A ZERO NET VEHICLE GROWTH POLICY TO REDUCE TRAFFIC CONGESTION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Encourage the State to establish a zero net vehicle growth policy; and
(2) Request the Department of Transportation to convene a working group to determine the feasibility and best course of action for the State to adopt a zero net vehicle growth policy.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Hawaii State Energy Office and Department of Transportation. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Hawaii Automobile Dealers Association, King Windward Nissan, and JN Group.
Your Committee finds that traffic congestion is a major issue that costs the State millions of dollars annually and negatively contributes to the health and welfare of residents. The current method of dealing with traffic congestion by widening roads to add more lanes is not a sustainable path. Additionally, studies have shown that adding lane miles does not solve traffic problems.
Your Committee notes the testimony from several automobile dealerships in opposition to this measure that calls into question whether a zero net vehicle growth policy would be in the best interest of the people of Hawaii. Your Committee finds that this question is worthy of discussion within the working group.
Accordingly, your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Urging the State to examine and consider innovative policies to invest in alternative transit infrastructure and reduce the number of vehicles on the roads instead of urging the State to adopt a zero net vehicle growth policy;
(2) Requesting the working group to examine and consider innovative policies to invest in alternative transit infrastructure and reduce the number of vehicles on the roads instead of determining how best to implement a zero net vehicle growth policy;
(3) Removing the Director of Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism from the working group;
(4) Adding the following members to the working group:
(A) The Chairperson of the Senate Standing Committee on Housing;
(B) The Chairperson of the House of Representatives Standing Committee on Housing;
(C) The Chief Energy Officer;
(D) A representative of the Ulupono Initiative; and
(E) A representative of the Hawaii Bicycling League;
(5) Eliminating specific provisions only applicable to the zero net vehicle growth policy;
(6) Amending its title in accordance with its amended purpose; and
(7) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Transportation that is attached to this report, your Committee concurs with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 213, as amended herein, and recommends its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 213, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Transportation,
CHRIS LEE, Chair