STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1494
RE: S.C.R. No. 190
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Transportation and Water and Land, to which was referred S.C.R. No. 190 entitled:
"SENATE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION REQUESTING THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION AND COMMUNITY STAKEHOLDERS TO IMPROVE THE MAUNALUA-MAKAPUU STATE SCENIC BYWAY AND DEVELOP A PLAN TO CONSOLIDATE MANAGEMENT ALONG THE KA iWI COAST SCENIC SHORELINE,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Request the Department of Transportation and community stakeholders to improve the Maunalua-Makapuu State Scenic Byway; and
(2) Develop a plan to consolidate management along the Kaiwi Coast Scenic Shoreline.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Transportation, Livable Hawaii Kai Hui, Hawaii Bicycling League, and five individuals. Your Committees received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and two individuals.
Your Committees find that the Kaiwi coast scenic shoreline is a beautiful stretch of undeveloped land in east Oahu that is host to the Maunalua-Makapuu Scenic Byway. There is concern that without proper management, this area will face increasing challenges. Your Committees find that it is in the best interests of the people of Hawaii to engage the community to protect this sensitive area and preserve its natural beauty.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the organizational structure from a task force to a working group;
(2) Adjusting the composition of the working group;
(3) Amending its title in accordance with its amended purpose;
(4) Adding a sunset provision to dissolve the working group on July 1, 2023; and
(5) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Transportation and Water and Land that are attached to this report, your Committees concur with the intent and purpose of S.C.R. No. 190, as amended herein, and recommend its adoption in the form attached hereto as S.C.R. No. 190, S.D. 1.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Transportation and Water and Land,
LORRAINE R. INOUYE, Chair
CHRIS LEE, Chair