STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1473
RE: S.B. No. 969
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs, to which was referred S.B. No. 969, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO ANIMAL FUR PRODUCTS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Beginning July 1, 2021, prohibit the manufacture or importation for sale of certain animal fur products in the State; and
(2) Beginning December 1, 2021, prohibit the sale, offer for sale, display for sale, trade, or otherwise distribution for monetary or nonmonetary consideration of certain animal fur products in the State.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from Animal Rights Hawai‘i, Keiko Conservation, Animal Defenders International, Fur Free Alliance, In Defense of Animals, Animal Legal Defense Fund, Last Chance For Animals, Stella McCartney Ltd, InStyle, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association, The Humane Society of the United States, Project Coyote, Down to Earth Organic and Natural, House Rabbit Society, and ten individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Department of Agriculture, Natural Fibers Alliance, Retail Merchants of Hawaii, and International Fur Federation. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs; Hawaii Cattleman's Council, Inc.; and one individual.
Your Committee finds that existing laws provide relatively little oversight of the fur farming and fur trade industries. Your Committee further finds that prohibiting the manufacture for sale, importation for sale, sale, offer for sale, display for sale, trade, or other distribution of certain animal fur products in Hawaii will foster a more humane environment in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Amending its purpose section;
(2) Changing the departmental responsibility for administering the provisions of this measure from the Director of Agriculture to the Department of the Attorney General;
(3) Amending the definition of "fur" to delete language specifying that fur includes mink and other non-native species; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 969, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 969, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs,
MARK M. NAKASHIMA, Chair