STAND. COM. REP. NO. 774
RE: S.B. No. 962
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 962, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE NATURAL ENERGY LABORATORY OF HAWAII AUTHORITY,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to transfer the Makai Research Pier to the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Transfers the Makai Research Pier, including any current leases of the Makai Research Pier, from the University of Hawaii to the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority;
(2) Prohibits any disturbing of, or interference with, any existing leases of the Makai Research Pier; and
(3) Authorizes the Director of Finance to issue general obligation bonds for the Natural Energy Research Laboratory of Hawaii Authority to repair and upgrade the Makai Research Pier.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources, University of Hawaii, and Makai Ocean Engineering.
Your Committee received written comments in opposition to this measure from the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority.
Your Committee finds that transferring to the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority operational authority over the Makai Research Pier and authorizing the issuance of general obligation bonds for the repair of the pier will allow the pier to remain operational and be revitalized for valuable research activity.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting the provision transferring to the Natural Energy Laboratory of Hawaii Authority current leases of the Makai Research Pier and prohibiting any disturbing of, or interference with, the leases;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(3) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 962, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 962, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair