STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1860
RE: S.B. No. 935
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 935, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO AEROSPACE,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Establish the Office of Aerospace Development in the Hawaii Technology Development Corporation instead of the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism;
(2) Repeal references to the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems;
(3) Transfer the rights, powers, functions, and duties of the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems to the Office of Aerospace Development;
(4) Allow the Aerospace Advisory Committee to select the Director of the Office of Aerospace Development; and
(5) Reduce the number of members on the Aerospace Advisory Committee.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting a blank appropriation to the University of Hawaii for the Pacific International Space Center for Exploration Systems at the University of Hawaii at Hilo Imiloa Astronomy Center;
(2) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 935, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 935, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair