STAND. COM. REP. NO. 970
RE: S.B. No. 913
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Ways and Means and Judiciary, to which was referred S.B. No. 913, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SUSTAINABLE ELECTRONICS MANAGEMENT,"
beg leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to promote electronic stewardship and reduce electronic waste in the State.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Establishes a new chapter in the Hawaii Revised Statutes, to be known as the "Electronic Hardware Donation Act";
(2) Requires all persons who receive state funds and state financial assistance to donate unnecessary but functioning electronic devices to nonprofit organizations that will refurbish and distribute the devices to eligible persons in the State;
(3) Requires the Department of Accounting and General Services to receive information from refurbishers and recipients covered by the Act, maintain a website with current information, and submit an annual report to the Legislature; and
(4) Authorizes administrative penalties for noncompliance.
Your Committees received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Education, Hawaiian Hope, and two individuals.
Written comments in opposition were received from one individual.
The Department of Accounting and General Services submitted written comments on the measure.
Your Committees find that the refurbishment and distribution of electronic devices under this measure will extend the lives of valuable products, keep devices out of the waste stream for a longer period, and provide to schools, nonprofit organizations, and lower-income families the electronic equipment that they otherwise may not be able to afford.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Ways and Means and Judiciary that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 913, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 913, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Ways and Means and Judiciary,
KARL RHOADS, Chair
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair