STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1003
RE: S.B. No. 791
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 791, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VESSELS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Clarifying the processes for the removal of unauthorized vessels;
(2) Clarifying the criteria for determining whether a vessel has been abandoned;
(3) Reducing the time frame for claiming an unauthorized or abandoned vessel that has been impounded by the Department of Land and Natural Resources;
(4) Establishing penalties for the abandonment of a vessel in the waters of the State or on public property;
(5) Clarifying auction requirements regarding abandoned vessels; and
(6) Authorizing the Department of Land and Natural Resources to charge impound storage fees for abandoned vessels.
Your Committee finds that this measure would allow the Department of Land and Natural Resources to respond more effectively to unauthorized, abandoned, grounded, and derelict vessels and hold owners more accountable for their vessels.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying that certain approvals for abandoned or grounded vessels must be made in writing by the Chairperson of the Board of Land and Natural Resources, or the Chairperson's designee;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 791, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 791, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Judiciary & Hawaiian Affairs.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
DAVID A. TARNAS, Chair