STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1849
RE: S.B. No. 57
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 57, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO VEHICLE INSPECTIONS,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Codify the requirement for the Director of Transportation to supervise and certify vehicle inspectors; establish standards, certificates, and examinations for inspectors; and monitor activities and conduct investigations of reported or suspected improper inspection activities;
(2) Temporarily repeal the requirement for reconstructed vehicles to obtain a special inspection and certification; and
(3) Require the Department of Transportation to report to the Legislature on the effects of the repeal.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Transportation; 4Runnation, Hawaii; 808 Street Rods; Oahu Motorsports Association; and numerous individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Honolulu Police Department.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Changing the effective date and the repeal date for the temporary repeal of the requirement for reconstructed vehicles to obtain a special inspection and certification to January 1, 2052, and July 31, 2055, to encourage further discussion; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 57, S.D. 2, H.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 57, S.D. 2, H.D. 3.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair