STAND. COM. REP. NO. 312
RE: S.B. No. 518
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 518, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO EDUCATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to raise awareness of and provide training on addressing child sexual abuse.
Specifically, the measure:
(1) Requires the Department of Education to establish a sexual abuse prevention education program that shall be implemented beginning with the 2021-2022 school year;
(2) Requires the Board of Education to adopt policies to effectuate the sexual abuse prevention education program;
(3) Requires the Department of Education to submit reports to the Legislature; and
(4) Appropriates funds for the program.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Office of the Prosecuting Attorney of the County of Hawaii, Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest and Hawaii, Hawaiian Affairs Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Hawaii State Teachers Association, Imua Alliance, Education Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Women's Caucus of the Democratic Party of Hawaii, Parents and Children Together, Hawaii Youth Services Network, Sex Abuse Treatment Center, and six individuals.
The Department of Education submitted written comments on the measure.
Your Committee finds that requiring the implementation of a program of regular, consistent sexual abuse prevention education for students, parents, teachers, and staff at public and charter schools will help to address the serious and ongoing threat of child sexual abuse in the State.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Clarifying a reference to Title IX of the federal Education Amendments of 1972, 20 United States Code section 1621 et seq.; and
(2) Making technical nonsubstantive amendments for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 518, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 518, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair