STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1850
RE: S.B. No. 350
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Finance, to which was referred S.B. No. 350, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO THE ENVIRONMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) Direct the Clean Water Branch of the Environmental Management Division to continue to test water quality during brown water advisories, as practicable;
(2) Issue health advisories during brown water advisories that explain the health risks associated with water runoff; and
(3) Consider environmental justice issues when making certain assessments and determinations.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Friends of Maha‘ulepu, Surfrider Foundation Kauai Chapter, Kihei Community Association, Clean The Pacific, Surfrider Foundation Hawai‘i Region, and eighteen individuals. Your Committee received testimony in opposition to this measure from the Department of Health. Your Committee received comments on this measure from one individual.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Inserting an unspecified appropriation amount for an unspecified number of full-time equivalent positions for the Department of Health; and
(2) Making a technical, nonsubstantive amendment for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Finance that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 350, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 350, S.D. 2, H.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Finance,
SYLVIA LUKE, Chair