STAND. COM. REP. NO. 8
RE: S.B. No. 247
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Education, to which was referred S.B. No. 247 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO PUBLIC LIBRARIES,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to:
(1) Establish a pilot program to generate revenue through the lease of public library lands to meet the mission of the public libraries;
(2) Establish the library facilities fund; and
(3) Require the State Librarian and Board of Education to report to the Legislature.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from one individual. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Hawaii State Public Library System.
Your Committee finds that it has been almost fifty years since all Hawaii State Public Library System properties have been reviewed. Your Committee further finds that a comprehensive planning study would greatly assist the Hawaii State Public Library System in identifying properties for the pilot program and developing a strategic plan for its long-term needs. This measure establishes a pilot program that will allow the Hawaii State Public Library System to work with the Board of Education on leasing public library land to generate income necessary to fulfill its missions.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Replacing references to the Board of Education with the Department of Education for the pilot program for lease of public library land; and
(2) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Education that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 247, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 247, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Education,
MICHELLE N. KIDANI, Chair