STAND. COM. REP. NO. 400
RE: S.B. No. 220
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 220, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SERVICE-LEARNING,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require service-learning for public high school students.
Specifically, the measure requires the Department of Education to implement a mandatory service-learning curriculum that:
(1) Specifies a minimum number of community service volunteer work hours;
(2) Includes instructional practices;
(3) Aligns with common core state standards and is integrated into the standards-based curriculum;
(4) Includes reflection on the volunteer experience;
(5) Is specific to each grade level; and
(6) Is publicly available on the Department of Education website.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Democratic Party of Hawaii Education Caucus and one individual.
Your Committee received written comments on this measure from the Department of Education.
Your Committee finds that requiring students to participate in community service volunteer work that is integrated with a standards-based curriculum will help students to develop character, values, self-esteem, civic responsibility, financial literacy, and knowledge of community issues.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 220, S.D. 1, and recommends that it pass Third Reading.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair