STAND. COM. REP. NO. 1435
RE: S.B. No. 1421
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committees on Economic Development and Higher Education & Technology, to which was referred S.B. No. 1421, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO DUAL USE TECHNOLOGY,"
beg leave to report as follows:
(1) Create a Dual Use Technology Task Force within the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism to explore how dual use technology can be used to promote economic recovery and diversify the State's economy; and
(2) Require the task force to submit reports to the Legislature prior to the Regular Sessions of 2023 and 2025.
Your Committees received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism; Hawaii Technology Development Corporation; Chamber of Commerce Hawaii; Oceanit; and one individual.
Your Committees find that dual use technology, or technology that can be used for military and non-military aims, is vital to economic growth and a diversified economy in the State. This measure allows the State to explore how dual use technology can be used to significantly contribute to Hawaii's economic recovery, thereby promoting a decreased reliance on tourism.
Your Committees have amended this measure by:
(1) Specifying that private sector representatives on the task force shall be jointly selected and invited by the Speaker of the House of Representatives and President of the Senate;
(2) Authorizing the Speaker of the House of Representatives and President of the Senate, rather than task force members, to recommend additional members to participate on the task force;
(3) Deleting language that would have exempted members of the task force from the state law relating to the selection and terms of members of permanent boards and commissions; and
(4) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the records of votes of the members of your Committees on Economic Development and Higher Education & Technology that are attached to this report, your Committees are in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1421, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommend that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1421, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Finance.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committees on Economic Development and Higher Education & Technology,
GREGG TAKAYAMA, Chair
SEAN QUINLAN, Chair