STAND. COM. REP. NO. 156
RE: S.B. No. 140
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water and Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 140 entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to consolidate long-term master planning and zoning regarding state-owned lands within each of the transit-oriented development zones under the Hawaii Community Development Authority. Specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the Hawaii Community Development Authority (HCDA) to develop a transit-oriented development zone improvement program; and
(2) Appropriates funds to Hawaii Community Development Authority for staff necessary to develop and manage the transit-oriented development zone improvement program.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Stanford Carr Development, LLC. Your Committee received comments on this measure from Hawaii Community Development Authority, Office of Planning, and Department of the Attorney General.
Your Committee finds that transit-oriented developments promote a wide range of social, environmental, and economic benefits, but currently, no single entity has the authority to redevelop the State's assets along the transit corridor in the best interest of the State. This measure fosters community development by strategically investing in public facilities through transit-oriented development.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Explicitly authorizing the Hawaii Community Development Authority to create zones and transit-oriented development improvement programs except on lands administered by the Hawaii Public Housing Authority or any community development district;
(2) Replacing all instances of "TOD" with "transit-oriented development"; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity and consistency.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water and Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 140, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 140, S.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Ways and Means.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water and Land,
LORRAINE R. INOUYE, Chair