STAND. COM. REP. NO. 585
RE: S.B. No. 1402
Honorable Ronald D. Kouchi
President of the Senate
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Ways and Means, to which was referred S.B. No. 1402, S.D. 1, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO TRANSPORTATION,"
begs leave to report as follows:
The purpose and intent of this measure is to require the Department of Transportation to establish various motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian highway networks throughout the State.
More specifically, this measure:
(1) Requires the planning for, and establishment of, motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian highway networks throughout the State;
(2) Requires the Department of Transportation to plan for, establish, and, if applicable, ensure that each county plans for and establishes, inter-community bicycle and pedestrian networks and pedestrian exercise and active health pathways;
(3) Establishes goals and metrics to guide the Department of Transportation in its planning and establishment of these networks and pathways; and
(4) Requires the Department of Transportation to submit an annual report to the Legislature.
Your Committee received written comments in support of this measure from the Department of Health, Department of Transportation, Hawaii Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation Commission, Hawaii State Energy Office, Office of Planning, AARP Hawaii, AlohaCare, American Heart Association, Blue Planet Foundation, Hawaii Bicycling League, Hawaii Public Health Institute, Ulupono Initiative, Young Progressives Demanding Action, and two individuals.
Your Committee finds that the establishment of separate motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian highway and pathway networks throughout the State is an effective way to decrease the public's reliance on personal motor vehicles, reduce the cost of transportation, and improve public health.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Designating the new sections to be added to Chapter 264, Hawaii Revised Statutes, as a new part to that chapter;
(2) Inserting a definition of "department";
(3) Requiring the Department of Transportation to coordinate with each applicable county to develop a comprehensive plan regarding the establishment of certain bicycle and pedestrian pathways within communities;
(4) Clarifying certain goals that the Department of Transportation is required to endeavor to achieve when planning, designing, and implementing ground transportation infrastructure for certain projects;
(5) Clarifying the Department of Transportation's applicable reporting requirements;
(6) Changing the effective date to July 1, 2050, to facilitate further discussion on the measure; and
(7) Making technical nonsubstantive changes for purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Ways and Means that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1402, S.D. 1, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Third Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1402, S.D. 2.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Ways and Means,
DONOVAN M. DELA CRUZ, Chair