STAND. COM. REP. NO. 989
RE: S.B. No. 1313
Honorable Scott K. Saiki
Speaker, House of Representatives
Thirty-First State Legislature
Regular Session of 2021
State of Hawaii
Your Committee on Water & Land, to which was referred S.B. No. 1313, S.D. 2, entitled:
"A BILL FOR AN ACT RELATING TO SPORT FISH,"
begs leave to report as follows:
(1) The Department of Agriculture to review, no later than January 1, 2022, whether the northern largemouth bass should be placed on the list of conditionally approved animals that require a permit for import into the State maintained pursuant to section 150A-6.2(a)(1), Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(2) The Division of Aquatic Resources of the Department of Land and Natural Resources to establish a pilot program to restock northern largemouth bass, butterfly peacock bass, or both, in the Wahiawa public fishing area in central Oahu if the Board of Agriculture places northern largemouth bass on the conditionally approved list that requires a permit for import into the State maintained pursuant to section 150A-6.2(a)(1), Hawaii Revised Statutes;
(3) As part of this pilot program, the Division of Aquatic Resources to apply to the Department of Agriculture for a permit to import the northern largemouth bass and butterfly peacock bass; and
(4) The Department of Land and Natural Resources, including the Division of Aquatic Resources; Department of Agriculture; and all other relevant boards and divisions to work together until the permitting process and pilot program are successfully completed, subject to any applicable laws and pre-existing conditions.
Your Committee received testimony in support of this measure from the Wahiawa Community Based Development Organization dba Wahiawa Fresh!, Tropo LLC, and ten individuals. Your Committee received comments on this measure from the Department of Land and Natural Resources and Department of Agriculture.
Your Committee finds that the companion to this measure, H.B. No. 1274, H.D. 1 (Regular Session of 2021), was previously passed by your Committee.
Your Committee has amended this measure by:
(1) Deleting its contents and inserting the contents of H.B. No. 1274, H.D. 1, a measure that requires the Division of Aquatic Resources to:
(A) Establish, no later than January 1, 2022, a pilot project to restock northern largemouth bass, butterfly peacock bass, or both, in the Wahiawa public fishing area in central Oahu; and
(B) Apply to the Department of Agriculture for the permit to import the northern largemouth bass and work with another public entity or partner with a private entity to accomplish the pilot project;
(2) Changing its effective date to January 1, 2050, to encourage further discussion; and
(3) Making technical, nonsubstantive amendments for the purposes of clarity, consistency, and style.
As affirmed by the record of votes of the members of your Committee on Water & Land that is attached to this report, your Committee is in accord with the intent and purpose of S.B. No. 1313, S.D. 2, as amended herein, and recommends that it pass Second Reading in the form attached hereto as S.B. No. 1313, S.D. 2, H.D. 1, and be referred to your Committee on Consumer Protection & Commerce.
Respectfully submitted on behalf of the members of the Committee on Water & Land,
DAVID A. TARNAS, Chair